Tuesday, November 22, 2011

If I had a photo niche...


"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know."


If I would choose one photographic style to pursue, it would be silhouettes. Silhouettes have fascinated me from a very young age. Perhaps it is the aura of mystery the surrounds a back-lit subject, perhaps the limited opportunities for great silhouettes, perhaps the neglect silhouettes receive in the world of professional and amateur photography. 
Natural-light silhouettes at sunrise or sunset are among my favorites. The small details intrigue me, details that would possibly be lost in a full-color shot. 








Sometimes I use poor lighting as an excuse to hide an imperfect photo in a silhouette. The first wedding ceremony I shot this year had one wall composed almost entirely of windows--talk about a challenge! This photo of the bride ended up being one of my favorite shots of the day. 


No comments: